Friday, December 10, 2010

The House Part 38

Chapter Four in which Matthew meets Marc and Brien and Marc does something terrible
“You killed a police officer?” Brien asked Marc in disbelief as soon as the door was shut.
“And two others, yeah.” Marc said.
“Lord Almighty Marc, what in blazes were you thinking?!” Brien demanded
“It spun out of control.” Marc said, blowing into his hands.
“You don't say.” Brien said sarcastically.
“I woke up in the snow,” Marc explained, “And then this cop comes up and starts shooting at me. I hid and waited for him to go away and then this other cop comes out of nowhere and starts shooting me. So I take him out and then two other people come out and start yelling at me so I take them out as well.” Brien shook his head and they continued to walk.
“Marc!” Someone hissed at them. Both Marc and Brien turned their heads towards the voice and saw a man huddled on the ground beckoning to them. The man was dressed in rags with cloth covering his face and, Brien saw with a start, holding a gun. Marc drew his gun and pointed it at the man.
“What are you?” Marc asked warily, “I mean, who are you?”
“I'm Matthew!” The man said exasperated, “Lord Marc!” He stood up and unwrapped the scarf from his face. Once the cloth came off both Brien and Marc could see that it was in fact Matthew.
“Sorry about that Matt.” Marc said putting the gun back in his coat pocket. “I'm a little on edge today, you see I am being hunted down by the cops because I shot and killed three innocent people.”
“That's nice.” Matthew said looking around.
“Brien, where is Lara, Allison, and Margret?” He demanded, looking at Brien.
“I don't know!” Brien said indignantly, “Why are you asking me?” Matthew opened his mouth to answer and was hit from behind. He cried out and fell backwards, blood dripping down his back. Marc drew his gun and began to fire in the direction that the attack must have come from. He fired six bullets in rapid succession and stopped.
“Dear lord!” He swore and ran over to the people he was shooting at. Brien followed him stopping short when he saw the bodies .
“What did you do?!” He demanded, turning on Marc in a fury. There were three bodies laying in the snow, two males one female. All three of them were children. The oldest, one of the boys, was no older than sixteen and the youngest, the other boy, was no older than ten.
“I thought they were firing at us.” Marc said, running a hand through his hair.
“They were freaking kids!!!” Brien roared, grabbing Marc by the lapels of his jacket and pushing him up against one of the walls, “It didn't seem strange to you that a bunch of kids would be shooting at us?”
“It was instinct!” Marc protested, pushing Brien's hands away, “Matt was hit so I reacted.”
“Think before you shoot!” Brien spat and turned around. He walked back to the bodies and bent down. The girl was still alive but she was seriously wounded and was crying in pain.
“What do you need?” Brien asked, “Tell me what you need and I will get it for you.”
“I want...” The girl said, tears running down her face, “I want my mom, bring me my mom.”
“Tell me where she lives.” Brien said, fighting back tears of his own “Tell me where she lives and I will get her.”
“One.” The girl said, “One. Eight. Hawthorn Lane.”
“I'll be back.” Brien said standing up, “Hang on.” Brien walked back over to Marc and hissed in his ear.
“Find Lara or when I come back you will be the one laying on the ground bleeding.” He turned and began to walk off when Marc's voice stopped him.
“For God's sake Brien, they are just computer programs!” He said venomously, “They can't feel!” He walked over and drew his foot back to kick the girl in the head to prove his point. Before he could kick her however Brien punched him in the face.
Marc fell backwards into the snow and Brien kicked him in the side. Marc doubled up and Brien bent down so that his face was an inch from Marc's.
“Did that hurt?” Brien asked calmly.
“Look,” Marc coughed, “Brien, I'm sorry. I was...I was an idiot. I am sorry I didn't mean to shoot them, I don't shoot kids, Lord, I don't shoot cops. I don't shoot people, I have only fought in like three battles for the entire war. I..I am very truly sorry. I will go try to find Lara.”
“Good.” Brien said and walked off.

No comments:

Post a Comment