Friday, December 10, 2010

The House Part 31

Part Seven
The assault on the Master Computer



Chapter One in which The Master Computer explains things to his minion
“So,” The voice was cultured, clear, and strong. It was a voice of authority. It was a voice that never needed to yell or make threats. It was a voice that was always polite and well spoked.
“They want to destroy me.” The voice continued, “I certainly did not expect that. And in many ways it is a brilliant plan.” The voice did not sound angry but rather respectful, as if it was playing a complicated game of strategy and its opponent had just made a totally unexpected move and it had made the challenge greater, “And they are certainly the people to try it, if anyone is to try.”
“It's far more dangerous than that Sir,” Lloyd February said, obviously angry at the audacity of these people. Who the heck did they think they were? “This could set the plan back for months if not years! I can kill them now if you will just give me the password.”
The voice laughed a superior laugh which made it totally clear that the voice was not laughing with Lloyd but at him.
“Master,” Lloyd said, trying very hard to control his temper, “I can end this now if you will give me the password.”
“Lloyd,” The voice said patiently, “You have been a good Lieutenant to me and I know that you could end this now if I gave you the password but I neither want this to be ended now or you to have the master password.”
“Why don't you want this ended?” Lloyd asked, outraged.
“Because I want to see how they're going to do it, I've been growing bored with things for a few years and this war has been the most interesting thing that has happened in ages and I want to see it through to the end.”
“Has it occurred to you,” Lloyd said through gritted teeth, trying very very hard to be polite, “that they could destroy you?”
“Yes,” The voice replied, “Yes it has occurred to me..”
“Then why in blazes are you letting them proceed?!” Lloyd demanded.
“Because,” The voice explained calmly, “Like in any game it is simply no fun to be the winner by a mile. It is much more fun to snatch victory from defeat, to win by a nose if you will.”
Lloyd did not look convinced so the Voice continued.
“Think about, Lloyd, you like to watch dueling, isn't that correct?”
“Yeah,” Lloyd said gruffly, he was still annoyed, “I like dueling.”
“And,” The voice continued, “wasn't there a duelist a few years ago by the name of Jeremiah January?”
“Pretty Boy Jeremy, yeah.” Lloyd sneered.
“And was he a good duelist?” The voice asked with a slight hint of humor.
“He was alright.” Lloyd shrugged, “He wasn't as good as everyone thought he was though, they all thought he was the second coming or something. I saw him duel once in the House Cup and he wasn't that good at all, all frills and swoops and not much skill.”
“No this duelist was defeated in the House Cup, wasn't he?” The voice asked.
“He was.” Lloyd grinned nastily, “He finally came up against someone who could wasn't scared of him and actually tried to duel.”
“Correct me if I am wrong,” the Voice said, “But I believe that you saw that match live.”
“I did.” Lloyd said, still grinning that nasty grin, “I watched Pretty Boy Jeremy taken down by this young kid who nobody had heard who fought with skill and style, his name was Franklin July.”
“You seem to really dislike this Jeremiah January.” The Voice said silkily
“Dislike nothing,” Lloyd spat, “I hate that sorry excuse for a duelist!”
“Hate is a strong word,” The voice said, “Why do you hate this man?”
“Because he always won!” Lloyd replied, throwing his hands up, “There was no sport to it anymore, there was no competition to his matches, it was just the Pretty Boy Jeremy January show.”
“That is my point,” The voice said triumphantly, “I have been in power for so long there is no sport to it anymore, I look forward to matching wits with these brave and intelligent young people who believe that they can take me down, I very much look forward to it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment