Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The House Part 13

January 3rd
Chapter One in which Matthew has a meeting and makes a phone call
“Tom!” Matthew called out, “Please step into my office.”
“What's up?” Thomas asked as he walked over.
“I just remembered,” Matthew said, turning back in forth in his chair while playing with the little plaque that read “Matthew January, Prime Minister” which normally sat on his desk, “That John asked me to go over your speech with you.”
“Oh, ok.” Thomas said, “I don't have a copy on me, do you have a laptop that I could use?”
“Yeah,” Matthew said, “Sit down by the way, make yourself at home.”
“Thank you.” Thomas said, sinking into a chair while Matthew opened various drawers in his desk until he finally found the right one and pulled out a laptop. He handed it to Thomas who began to type.
“Here it is.” He said after a while, handing the laptop back to Matthew who began to read. They sat silence for a few minutes until Matthew shut the laptop and looked up at Thomas.
“So...” Thomas asked, “What do you think?”
“It's pretty good.” Matthew said, “But there were two sentences that I think you should change.”
“Which ones?” Thomas said, grabbing the laptop and flipping it open.
“Um,” Matthew said, staring off into the distance trying to remember, “The one that began....um...'Turning the final corner', 'war close to finally ending', do you know what I'm talking about?”
“Yeah.” Thomas said, scrolling on the laptop, “The one that goes 'We have turned the final corner, the war is entering it's final stages and it is close to finally ending, soon we shall finally know peace.'?”
“Yeah,” Matthew said nodding, “That one.”
“What's wrong with it?” Thomas asked, “I actually kind of like it.”
“There are two problems with it.” Matthew said, “First you use the word 'Finally' way too much. I mean it's finally this finally that ect ect.”
“It's building.” Thomas explained, “It's turned final corner, entered final stages, close to finally ending, and then finally know peace. It is supposed to make it flow.”
“I don't think it does,” Matthew said, “But as you're the person making the speech we can leave it in if you want.”
“I don't want to contradict you,” Thomas said, “but I really do like that line. I think it does work.”
“Fine.” Matthew said, “But there is one other line that you really do need to change. It's the one that goes something like 'We are currently working to bring more Over 20s into government.' or something or other.”
“'We understand that there are very few Over 20s in leadership positions and we are currently working to bring more Over 20s into government.'” Thomas read.
“That's the one.” Matthew said.
“What's wrong with it?” Thomas asked, “Don't we want to reach out to the Over 20s?”
“Yes,” Matthew said, “But we also don't want to lie.”
“How is that a lie?” Thomas asked.
“Well,” Matthew said, smiling a little, “you see, we're kind of not working to bring more Over 20s into leadership positions. So saying that we are is kind of...wrong.”
“Really?” Thomas said, a little bit shocked, “We really aren't trying to bring more Over 20s into government?”
“Nope.”
“Why?”
“Well we don't fully trust them. We think that they might try to sabotage the war effort.”
“Why?”
“Because,” Matthew explained patiently, sometimes Thomas could be a bit slow on the uptake “Like you said at the council meeting the leaders in the Over 20 community keep saying that this is not a war against the Foremen but a war against the Over 20s.”
“Why do you think that?” Thomas asked, “All I said in the council meeting, and all I know, is that some of the leaders of the Over 20s are speaking out against the war. Why do you think that they are saying it's a war against the Over 20s?”
“This morning,” Matthew said, “Josh informed me of a new Over 20 group that had formed called Tradition. Their stated aim is, and I quote, 'Stopping this illegal and immoral war against the Over 20 Community.'”
“Ah,” Thomas said, nodding, “I see why you might think that.”
“Yeah.” Matthew said standing up, “I hate to rush you out, but I have some important phone calls that I need to make.”
“Oh ok,” Thomas said, also standing, “So you just want me to change that line and maybe cut back on the finallys?”
“Yes.” Matthew said, “Thanks a lot for doing this Tom, John and I really appreciate it.”
“It's the least I can do.” Thomas said humbly, “Thanks for going over it with me, Matt.”
“No Problem.” Matthew said. They shook hands and Thomas left the office. Matthew sat back down and picked up his desk phone. He punched in several numbers and waited as the phone rang. Finally Margret picked up.
“Hello?” She said.
“Hey Margret. It's Matt.” Matthew said.
“Oh hey Matt.” Margret replied, “Is this important? Because I'm kind of busy right now.”
“It sort of is.” Matthew responded, “I just needed to let you know that Josh thinks that in the next week or so we're going to have a terrorist problem. The Over 20s are being whipped up into a frenzy by some of their more outspoken leaders. Now that we're beginning what we hope is the final offensive of the war...”
“Can't you just arrest them?” Margret said, sounding a little scared.
“Who?”
“The outspoken leaders in the Over 20 community.”
“Well you see, their main selling point,” Matthew explained, he seemed to be doing that a lot recently, “for their extremism is that we are waging a war against the Over 20s. Arresting their leaders doesn't do much to get end the perception does it?”
“I see your point.” Margret said, “So what do you suggest I do? Just sit around and wait for a terrorist attack?”
“Well,” Matthew said, “What else can we do?”
“That is....a terrible answer.” Margret said, “Please tell me that you've never considered being a therapist.”
“I just thought that you would like to know.”
“Well congrats. You have ensured that I won't sleep until after the war is over.”
“Actually most of the attacks will probably come after the war is over, revenge attacks, you know.”
“Well thank you even more Mr. Help People Get Less Scared. I now won't sleep until....ever.”
“Hey, as the clerk I thought you should know since these terrorists might target important members of the council.”
“Great,” Margret said sarcastically, “That makes me feel even better. I need to go and try to forget this entire conversation.”
“Good luck with that.” Matthew said smiling to himself, winding Margret up was really really fun.
“Go away.” Margret said and hung up. Matthew placed the phone back in it's cradle and laughed to himself. Other than the threat of terrorist attacks and the ongoing war that was tearing the House apart it had been a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment