Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The House Part 14

January 13th
Chapter Two in which we meet Brien May again
“NO!” Brien May yelled, “No, I will not!”
“Just hear me out.” Ben September said, “Just hear me out.”
“No,” Brien yelled, “I have said it before and I will say it again...”
“No?” Ben said raising his eyebrows.
“No!” Brien confirmed.
“Listen to me.” Ben said reasonably, “All I ask is that you listen to me!”
“No!” Brien said walking across the room.
“We are losing this war!!” Ben yelled shocking Brien into silence, Ben was not the type of person who yelled.
“Do you understand that?” Ben demanded, “We are losing this war!”
“I am the Supreme Military Leader of the House!” Brien said, also shouting now, “AND YOU DON”T THINK THAT I KNOW THAT WE ARE LOSING?!!”
“THEN WHY WON”T YOU TRY AND END IT?!!!!!” Ben roared back.
“BECAUSE WHEN EMILY FENUARY WAS IN CHARGE,” Brien yelled in return, “THINGS WERE TERRIBLE AND THAT IS THE REASON WHY THIS WAR BEGAN!!”
“NO IT ISN”T!!!” Ben screamed at Brien, getting right up in his face, “THE REASON THAT THIS WAR BEGAN IS BECAUSE YOU SIEZED POWER ILLEGALY!!” Ben stopped suddenly, realizing that he had gone to far.
“Is that what you think?” Brien asked, obviously hurt. “That I seized power illegally?” Ben was silent.
“Ben?” Brien asked, “Is that what you really think?”
“Yes.” Ben said “I do.”
“I did it for you.” Brien said hoarsely, “They were try to get you kicked off the council.”
“But...” Ben said, “That's just politics, there was no reason for you to overthrow the council.”
“They were corrupt.” Brien said, pleadingly, “They were corrupt and manipulative. If they had found out about the true circumstances surrounding Philip October's death they would have....”
“Don't mention that day.” Ben spat, a strange venom in his voice, “Don't ever mention that day, you power hungry monster!” Brien stared into Ben's eyes for a few moments and then he turned away.
“Brien,” Ben said, his voice full of remorse, “I'm, I'm, I'm sorry. It's just...This war is getting to me, I know that you didn't just seize power for the sake of it. ”
“It's fine.” Brien said, tears welling in his eyes. He stared pointedly off into the distance as he continued to speak. “It's just, it's just that every single day I have to go out, put on a brave face, be the strong leader, and be hated for no reason. Do you think that's easy? Do you think that it's easy to hear everyone whisper behind your back about how you are a crazed tyrant? Do you think it's easy to hear people gently imply that maybe you should step aside and let someone a little more 'charismatic' take over? How do you you think it feels to have people walk up to you and say 'Sir, I think that you have been doing a bang up job running the war effort but maybe it's time to start negotiating peace and to do that I think you should let more of a people person take over.'? DO YOU THINK MY LIFE IS EASY?!” Brien roared turning to face Ben.
“I have no one to turn to, no one to rely on, no one who truly understands me! The only person in this entire God forsaken building that I feel close to says that I am a power hungry monster.”
“Brien,” Ben said, close to tears, “I didn't mean it..please..”
“Go away.” Brien said without emotion, “Just go away Ben.”
“Brien,” Ben pleaded, “Please...”
“I SAID GET OUT!!!” Brien screamed turning around sharply while drawing his gun and pointing it at Ben's head.
“Brien,” Ben said holding up his hands, “Calm down.”
“No!” Brien spat venomously, “I won't calm down, I'm the power hungry monster, remember?! Now, GET THE BLAZES OUT OF MY ROOM!!”
“I didn't mean...” Ben began but he was cut off when Brien charged him and slammed him against the wall.
“Do.” Brien said, enunciating every word, “Not. Speak. To. Me. Understand?”
“Brien,” Ben said, staring at Brien's gun which was he was holding to Ben's head. “Don't do this.”
“What did I say about talking to me?!!” Brien snarled, “Now get out of my room!” Ben looked at Brien sadly and then turned and walked out of the room. Brien holstered his gun, leaned against the wall, and began to cry.
Was Ben right? Was he a power crazy monster? But all he was trying to do was protect Ben. Emily February was the power hungry monster, she was trying to take over the council, she wanted to remove Ben from the High Council. What was he supposed to do? Just let her do whatever she wanted?
Then this war began and what was he supposed to do? He knew that the rebels probably had a point but the House had to have order, and with the Under 20s in control there would be no order. He knew that the Foremen could be overly harsh but they had to keep order.
Brien sighed and wiped his eyes. Ben was right, He should bring in Emily February, and probably Nyssa March as well. He was too hated, but there was no way, no way, that he would let Emily February and Nyssa March have all the power again. He would let them become the public faces of the war, but he would still be calling the shots behind the scenes. Yes, that is what he was going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment